Ancient Languages/Latin

Question
Hi Maria,

I am in the process of creating a new football club for charity matches from the ashes of a long gone one. I would like to have a Latin inscription on our new shirts and fortunately came across this website. The inscription would read: "From the ashes of Kelmscott... The mighty buffalo rises" Kelmscott being the old team name and the buffalo our new crest. The words don't necessarily have to be in that exact order, I hope you can advice me on how it reads best. Thank you so much for your help, your translation will be immortalised on our shirts!

Many regards.

Pedro

Answer
Hello,

although your question sounds quite strange, here’s however the best translation for your phrase:

“Ex Kelmscott  cineribus ....Fortis oritur bubalus “.

Please note that:

-From = EX (preposition which takes the ablative case)

-the ashes =CINERIBUS (ablative plural of the noun CINIS, 3rd.declension)

-of Kelmscott = Kelmscott(placed before CINERIBUS).
This term cannot be translated into Latin.

-The mighty =FORTIS (nominative masculine singular agreed with BUBALUS)

-buffalo =BUBALUS (nominative, 2nd.declension)

-rises=ORITUR (3rd.person singular, present indicative of the deponent verb ORIOR, I rise)

As you can see, Latin word order can be different from English simply because Latin is an inflected language where grammatical/syntactical relationships are indicated by the endings, not by the order of the words.

Best regards,
Maria

Ancient Languages

Maria