Ancient Languages/Translation

Question

I am trying to design an inspirational poster for members of a charity I work for and want to use the phrase 'dare to dream' in Latin.

I have researched it but not sure what order the words should go in and also if what I have found is the correct translation.
so far I have found;
'aude somniare' or 'Somniare aude'.

Please can you tell me if this is the correct translation and which order the words should go in.

Many thanks

Answer
Hello,

Both “Aude somniare” and “Somniare aude” are correct and mean exactly “Dare to dream”.

The only one difference between “Aude somniare” and “Somniare aude” is the word order that in Latin can be variable for Latin, unlike modern languages, expresses the relation of words to each other by inflection rather than by position. Hence its structure admits a great variety in the arrangement of words, just because syntactical relationships are indicated by the inflexional endings, not by the order of the words.

In my opinion, however, it is better to use “Somniare aude” with the infinitive “somniare” (to dream) before the imperative “aude” (dare), since this sentence follows the word order of a quotation from Horace, Epistles, book I, line 40, where we read “Sapere aude” meaning “Dare to know”.

Best regards,
Maria
___________________________________________________________________________
Note that:

-SOMNIARE (infinitive of SOMNIO meaning “I dream” either in the sense of “I dream in sleep” or in the sense of “I daydream” and  “I have great expectations/hopes”) = to dream

-AUDE (imperative, 2nd.person singular of AUDEO, I dare) = dare

Ancient Languages

Maria