Ancient Languages/translation of Latin phrase

Question
Could you please tell me what NUNQUAM  HAESITARE means?  I believe it means never hesitate but I cannot find the meaning of haesitare.  Thanks

Answer
Hello,

the literal meaning of NUNQUAM  HAESITARE is “Never to hesitate” as a NEGATIVE INFINITIVE, not “Never hesitate”  which is a negative imperative in English.

In fact, NUNQUAM (or NUMQUAM) means “never”, while HAESITARE [present infinitive of the verb HAESITO (1st.person singular) meaning "I hesitate"/"I am hesitating"/ "I am uncertain"/"I am undecided"] corresponds to the English infinitive “to hesitate” (a verb which has been borrowed from Latin, as you can see).

In short, please note that:

1-the English negative infinitive ”Never to hesitate” translates as NUMQUAM HAESITARE where Latin HAESITARE (= to hesitate") is just a present INFINITIVE.

2-the English negative imperative “Never hesitate” translates as NUMQUAM HAESITAVERIS (2nd.person singular) or HAESITAVERITIS (2nd.person plural), since the NEGATIVE IMPERATIVE is regularly expressed in classic Latin prose by NE or NUMQUAM  with the Perfect Subjunctive that in this context is just HAESITAVERIS/HAESITAVERITIS (from the verb HAESITO).

Hope this is clear enough.

Best regards,
Maria

Ancient Languages

Maria