Ancient Languages/Dixitque

Question
Could you please help me explain the word Dixitque?

Answer
Hello,

the Latin expression “Dixitque” is composed of the past tense “dixit” meaning “he/she said “ and the enclitic conjunction “que” meaning “and”.

Therefore “Dixitque” means “And he said” as in e.g. Genesis 1:3 “Dixitque Deus fiat lux et facta est lux" ("And said God let there be light and there was light”).

So, apart from the fact that I do not know the context where you have read such an expression and thus I cannot tell you whether  the subject of “dixit” is a male or female person, since in Latin “dixit” can refer to both masculine and feminine subject, please note that:

-DIXIT (3rd.person singular, perfect indicative  active of the verb DICO, I say) = he /she said

-QUE (enclitic conjunction that is attached to the end of the verb) =and

Best regards,

Maria

Ancient Languages

Maria