Ancient Languages/family motto

The motto that i have on my family crest reads Audaces Juvat. Is this just a shortened form of Audaces fortuna juvat?And is it still correct?

“Audaces Juvat” is just a shortened form of  “Audaces fortuna iuvat” or “Audentis fortuna iuvat” (Fortune favours the bold ) that we read in Virgil’s Aeneid, book 10, line 284, where Virgil wrote “iuvat”, not “juvat”, since the Latin Alphabet does not contain  the letter J.(See Allen and Greenough's New Latin Grammar for Schools and Colleges, chapter 1, section 1).

Anyway, your family motto “Audaces iuvat”, literally meaning “Favours the bold”, sounds quite strange in Latin as well as in English, because  this phrase would need a subject that there is not, while in Latin the subject is “fortuna” (= fortune) that in your family motto has been incorrectly omitted.

In short, “Audaces iuvat” (= “Favours the bold”) is not correct either in Latin or in English as it has no subject that instead we have in “Audaces fortuna iuvat” where FORTUNA (= fortune) is the subject,IUVAT (favours) is the verb and AUDACES (the bold) is the  direct object.

Hope this is clear enough.

Best regards,

Ancient Languages

I am an expert in Latin & Ancient Greek Language and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning this matter.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Ph.D. in Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: