Ancient Languages/Latin

Question
Can you please advise is 'eternal soulmates' (as opposed to 'forever soulmates' in Latin  actually 'Sodales in aeternum' or 'in aeternum Sodales'?   Canyou also help me with the correct pronunciation of the phrase?  (eg is it ae-ter-num or aeter-num? and So-Dales or Sod-ales etc).

I love the phrase, but am not sure about the correct order of the words, nor the pronunciation.  Many thanks!

Answer
Hello,

first of all I have to point out that in Latin both “Sodales in aeternum” and  “In aeternum sodales” are correct and mean either “Forever soulmates” or  “Eternal soulmates”.

Anyway, if you want to use the Latin adjective “aeternus” instead of the adverbial expression “in aeternum”, you must say:

-“Aeterni sodales” as well as “Sodales aeterni” (with a different word order that in Latin can be variable), if the soulmates are male persons or male and female persons together. If so, the adjective  AETERNI is in the nominative masculine plural.

-“Aeternae sodales” as well as “Sodales aeternae”, if the soulmates are female persons only. If so, the adjective  AETERNAE is in the nominative feminine plural.

Latin is in fact an inflected language where each word changes ending, according to its role in a phrase and  the gender/number of the noun it refers to.Moreover Latin word order can be variable as syntactical relationships are indicated by the endings, not by the order of the words.

As for the correct pronunciation of “Sodales in aeternum” and “Aeterni sodales” or “Sodales aeternae”, here it is:

-SO is pronounced like the English adverb “so”
-DAL is pronounced like “dal” in the English noun “dalliance”. The accent falls on this vowel.
-ES is pronounced like “es” in the English verb “estimate”

-IN is pronounced like in English

-AE is pronounced like the “e” in “estimate”
-TER is pronounced like “ter” in “terrace”.The accent falls on this vowel.
-N is pronounced like “n” in “new”
-U is pronounced like  the “oo” in “good”
-M is pronounced like the “m” in “mountain”.
__________________________________________________________________

-NI is pronounced like “ni” in “niece”

-N is pronounced like “n” in “new”
-AE is pronounced like the “e” in “estimate”.

Best regards,

Maria

Ancient Languages

Maria