Ancient Languages/Etymology of ekagrata

Dear Kiran,

What's the etymology of the latter part of एकाग्रता (ekagrata). I'm aware eka refers to the cardinal one, but I can't find an explanation of "grata." I would venture a guess that it means "point" or "mind" based on its usage in religious texts, but I'm not sure.

The word एकाग्रता is a noun derived from एकाग्र
It splits into एक + अग्र
एक = one and अग्र = point
So taken together the means: 'one point'
Hence the noun formed from it means 'one pointedness'
i.e. concentrating on one point or concentration

Ancient Languages

Kiran Paranjape

I am already working as Hindi expert on this site & have worked diligently to answer the questions about Hindi. I would also like to volunteer as an expert in Sanskrit language in "Ancient Languages" category. I can answer all the questions about the Sanskrit language, its grammar & syntax & also ancient vedic civilization.

I am in this field for more than 10 years & have done translations in every field.

I have taken educational training in Sanskrit for 5 years & have been doing translations online for more than 3 years now.

My blog on Sanskrit quotes: received Indic Blogger's award for best blog in Sanskrit category by Microsoft BhashaIndia Project. You may also see the client testimonials on my online translations blog: