Ancient Languages/Grammar

Question
Dear Maria,

In the sentence of Ars Amatoria 1,211-212, I want to know the meaning of 'nec tantum siqua rogabit' and the tense of 'nescieris'.

And also what's the meaning of the Latin phrase below.
Quam miserum est, ubi consilium casu vincitur.

Thank you.

J

Answer
Dear John,

In “Omnia responde, nec tantum siqua rogabit;/Et quae nescieris....” (Ovid, Ars Amatoria 1,221-222) the sentence  "nec tantum siqua rogabit" literally means:
”..not (nec) only (tantum) if (si-) some (-qua” which stands for “aliqua” that drops the “ali” as it is preceded by “si”) [girl] (which is understood) will ask [you] (rogabit)...”, i.e.: ”not only if some girl  will ask you...”.

As for "nescieris", it is the  future  perfect of “nescio” and literally means: “you shall not  have known”.

So, “Omnia responde, nec tantum siqua rogabit;/Et quae nescieris .... refer” means:
”Answer to all questions not only if some girl  will ask you  something; also, tell what  you maybe will not know, just as if  you  knew it well “, just as I have written in one of my previous answer to you.

As for “Quam miserum est, ubi consilium casu vincitur!”, which is a saying that  we read in Publilius Syrus, a Latin writer of maxims, flourished in the 1st century BC, it  means:”How sad it is, when prudence is defeated by  the accident!", i.e. “How wretched it is when a good plan is defeated by an accident!”

Best regards,

Maria

Ancient Languages

Maria