Ancient Languages/motivational board

Question
Maria,
I would like to know what the exact translation for "I refuse to sink" from english to latin would be. I saw this in one of your previous answers but I didn't really understand it.
Just so you know a bit more, this is for my best friend. Every year she chooses a new "motto" to go by. She was asking me about a new one for 2015 and as her birthday is coming soon I thought of a motivational board for her. She had a really complicated year in which she went throught a lot, so I thought of making her this gift with pictures and reasons to be happy. I read this quote somewhere and thought it was great for her 2015.
It'd be great if you could translate this for me and maybe if you had any other ideas on any quotes that you think might fit.
I chose latin because she studies latin and absolutely loves it. she is the only one I knows speaks this language and it would be pretty obvious if I ask her, so you are my last resource (google translate is never 100% accurate and I wouldn't want to mess this up)
Thank you in advance if you do answer my question
Love,
Dolores

Answer
Hello,

here’s the exact translation for "I refuse to sink" just as a motivational motto to go on without being discouraged:  

-“Mergi recuso”  where the infinitive  form “mergi” corresponds to “to sink”, while “recuso” means “I refuse”.

Anyway, you could also say:” Maerore confici recuso”(literally, “I refuse to be  tormented by distress”).

[Read more below]

Hope this can be helpful to your friend.

Best regards,

Maria
______________________________________________________________________________________________
Note that in “I refuse to sink”:

-I refuse = RECUSO (1st.person singular, present indicative of  the verb RECUSARE which takes the infinitive only in negative sentences or questions implying a negative)

-to sink = MERGI (passive form, infinitive present of the verb MERGO)

Also, in “I refuse to be  tormented by distress”:

-I refuse = RECUSO  (see above)

-to be  tormented = CONFICI (passive form, infinitive present of the verb CONFICIO)

-by distress = MAERORE (ablative singular of the noun MAEROR, 3rd.declension)

As  you can see, Latin word order can be different from English for Latin is an inflected Language where synctactical  relationships are indicated by the ending, not by the order of the words.

Ancient Languages

Maria