Ancient Languages/ vs.

Question
Hello,

When a man refers to himself, he can emphatically say: ἐγώ αὐτός. But when a woman wants to do the same, does she say: ἐγώ αὐτή?

Thank you in advance,
Patrick

Answer
Hello,

When a man refers to himself, he can emphatically say ἐγὼ αὐτός, and  when a woman wants to do the same, she  must say ἐγὼ αὐτή, of course.

Note that the grave accent is written instead of a final acute accent  on a word that is followed immediately by another word in the sentence, as in ἐγὼ αὐτός and ἐγὼ αὐτή.

Similarly, if ἐγὼ αὐτός and ἐγὼ αὐτή are followed immediately by another word  the acute accent  in  the nominative masculine singular αὐτός and in the feminine singular αὐτή must become grave.

Best regards,

Maria

Ancient Languages

Maria