Ancient Languages/Phrase Translation.

Could you please translate the phrase “Never forget your angel.” from English to Latin for me? And could you please provide the phrase in 2nd person singular tense, as I will use this phrase as a reminder to myself, therefore it would be 2nd person singular tense. Thank you.

“Never forget your angel” as a reminder to yourself and thus in the 2nd person singular translates as  follows:

-“Numquam tui oblitus sis angeli “

-“Noli umquam tui oblivisci angeli”

Note that in Latin a prohibition is regularly expressed (1) by NOLI with the Infinitive, or (2) by NE / NUMQUAM with the Perfect Subjunctive.

Both the above translations are correct, of course, and then you can choose the one you like better.

See below for grammatical analysis.

Best regards,

Note that:

-Never = NUMQUAM (if in the sentence there is no other negative ) or UMQUAM (if in the sentence there is another negative like NOLI, for example).

-forget = OBLITUS SIS (2nd person singular, Perfect Subjunctive of the deponent verb OBLIVISCOR which takes the genitive case. In this negative command OBLITUS is in the masculine singular as it refers to the masculine name “Ethan” )   or  NOLI …...OBLIVISCI (negative command, composed of NOLI,2nd person singular, imperative of the negative verb NOLO, and OBLIVISCI in the infinitive mood).

-your = TUI (genitive masculine singular of the possessive adjective TUUS agreeing with ANGELI)

-angel =ANGELI (genitive singular of the masculine noun ANGELUS, 2nd declension. The genitive is required by the verb OBLIVISCOR)

Lastly, I have to point out that Latin word order is different from English simply because Latin  is an inflected language  where syntactical relationships are indicated by the endings of each term, not by the order of the words.

In short, word order in Latin differs from languages like English because a reader or listener who knows Latin grammar  and syntax can  easily discern the case of a word or the mood and tense of a verb.  
Therefore it is not necessary to adhere to a strictly defined order.

Ancient Languages

I am an expert in Latin & Ancient Greek Language and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning this matter.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Ph.D. in Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: