Ancient Languages/"I am not my own."

Question
Hello,

I have recently come across a verse from the bible that I have found rather inspiring and relevant to my group's intention. The phrase from the passage is "You are not your own;" verbatim. I would love if I could have the phrase translated to "I am not my own" to better suit our motto as a group.

Thank you for any help,

Conner

Answer
Hello,

it is in 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 that we read the phrase “You are not your own”,  which is the English translation of the Latin text “non estis vestri“ corresponding to the Greek sentence “οὐκ ἐστὲ ἑαυτῶν”, just to emphasize that our body is a sanctuary of the Holy Spirit and then we are not our own in the sense that our body does not belong to ourselves, but to God.

So, if you want to have the Latin translation of “I am not my own” in the 1st person singular, you must say:“Meus non sum”, whereas “Nostri non sumus” in the 1st person plural means “We are not our own” with reference to a group where there are many persons.

Read more below.

Best regards,

Maria
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Note that:

-I am = SUM (1st person singular, present indicative )
-not = NON
-my own =MEUS (possessive adjective, nominative masculine singular)

-We are = SUMUS (1st  person plural, present indicative of the verb SUM)
-not = NOT
-our own =NOSTRI (possessive adjective, nominative masculine plural of NOSTER)

As you can see, Latin word order can be different from English because Latin is an inflected language where grammar relationships are indicated by the ending of the words, not by their order.

Ancient Languages

Maria