Ancient Languages/Ancient Latin translation of APOLLYON

Hello Maria. i wanted to know if the word Apollyon is an ancient greek word or is it a Anglicized version or ancient latin spelling of the ancient greek Sun God Apollon . it is stated in the revelation of jesus the last book in the bible in chapter 9 verse 11
it states " and they have as king over them the angel of the bottomless pit whose name in the hebrew is Abaddon and in the greek
is Apollyon. yet i can find no ancient greek that spells out the Sun
God's name as Apollyon !! the king james bible was copied from the latin vulgate whic spells his name Apoll(Y)on with a letter ( y )as to spelling it correctly as Apollon .

first of all I have to tell you that  the Greek  name Ἀπολλύων, transliterated as “Apollyon” in the Revelation 9:11 Latin Biblia Sacra Vulgata and then in the King James Bible as well as in all English translations, has nothing to do with Ἀπόλλων, transliterated as “Apóllon”, the Greek god of the sun and of music and leader of the Muses.

In Revelation 9:11  we read in fact : ἔχουσιν ἐπ’ αὐτῶν βασιλέα τὸν ἄγγελον τῆς ἀβύσσου, ὄνομα αὐτῷ Ἑβραϊστί Ἀβαδδών καὶ ἐν τῇ Ἑλληνικῇ ὄνομα ἔχει Ἀπολλύων, which is the ancient Greek text  meaning: “They had as king over them the angel of the Abyss, whose name in Hebrew is Abaddon and in Greek is Apollyon “.

As you can see, the Greek text does not use the name  Ἀπόλλων (Apóllon ), but Ἀπολλύων (Apollyon) which means  “Destroyer” (“ the one who destroys”), as this name is nothing but the present participle,  nominative masculine, of  the Greek  verb ἀπόλλυμι (apóllumi) which means “to destroy”.

To sum up,  the name “Apollyon” is not an Anglicized version nor a Latin spelling of the ancient Greek Sun God  “Apóllon” , son of Zeus and Leto, and brother of Artemis.

On the contrary, the Greek name “Apollyon”, which is the active participle of the verb “apóllumi” and is not used as a name in classical Greek texts, is used  in Revelation 9:11  to mean “Destroyer” as  the  equivalent to the Hebrew term Abaddon, the angel of the Abyss.

In short, both Latin Vulgate and the King James Bible use the name  “Apollyon” (Ἀπολλύων ) correctly, for this name, meaning “Destroyer”, has nothing to do with the Greek god  “Apóllon”( Ἀπόλλων).

Hope this is clear enough. Feel free however to ask me again.

Best regards,

Ancient Languages

I am an expert in Latin & Ancient Greek Language and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning this matter.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Ph.D. in Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: