Ancient Languages/Greek motto

Question
Hello, I'm looking to create a 'personal motto' for my friend that I use in a wall hanging project. Can you translate "the arts and sciences together make us (human)",  or "the arts and sciences are equal" (in importance), something along those lines? Many thanks!

Answer
Hello,

first of all I must start with the premise that not always it is allowed to give a literal translation of an English sentence into ancient Greek, because any language has its peculiarity.

That being stated, here are two ancient Greek sentences that you can use to say “The arts and sciences together make us human" or  "The arts and sciences are equally important" :

1)Aἱ τέχναι καὶ  ἡ ἐπιστήμη ἡμᾶς βελτιοῦσι
(literally,” The arts and sciences improve us”)

2)Aἱ τέχναι καὶ  ἡ ἐπιστήμη ἴσως ἀξιόλογοί  εἰσιν
(literally, “The arts and sciences are equally important”).

Both above-mentioned sentences are correct, of course, but I want to suggest another ancient Greek sentence that you could use as a motto.

Here it is:

Ἡ  παιδεία ἡμᾶς  βελτιοῖ  
(literally, “Culture improves us”, where “culture”(Greek, παιδεία)  indicates  the arts, sciences  and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement ).

Hope this can be helpful to you.

Best regards,

Maria
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Note that in Aἱ τέχναι καὶ  ἡ ἐπιστήμη ἡμᾶς βελτιοῦσι (literally,” The arts and sciences improve us”):

-Aἱ (definite article in the nominative feminine plural agreeing with τέχναι) = the

-τέχναι (nominative feminine plural of the noun τέχνη, 1st declension) = arts

-καὶ  = and

-ἡ (definite article in the nominative feminine singular  agreeing with ἐπιστήμη) = the

-ἐπιστήμη (nominative feminine, 1st declension) = science /sciences

-ἡμᾶς (direct object, accusative plural, personal pronoun) = us

-βελτιοῦσι (3rd person plural, present indicative of the verb  βελτιόω ) =improve / make  better)
________________________________________________________________________________
In Aἱ τέχναι καὶ  ἡ ἐπιστήμη ἴσως ἀξιόλογοί  εἰσιν (literally, “The arts and sciences are equally important”):

-Aἱ τέχναι (see above) =the arts

-καὶ  = and

-ἡ ἐπιστήμη (see above) = sciences

-ἴσως (adverb) = equally

-ἀξιόλογοί (nominative plural of the adjective ἀξιόλογος) = important

-εἰσιν (3rd person plural, present indicative of the verb εἰμί) = are
___________________________________________________________
In  Ἡ  παιδεία ἡμᾶς  βελτιοῖ  (literally, “Culture improves us” where “culture”[Greek, παιδεία]  indicates  the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement ).

-Ἡ (definite article in the nominative feminine singular  agreeing with παιδεία ) = the

-παιδεία (nominative singular, 1st declension) =culture as education and the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement

-ἡμᾶς (see above) = us

-βελτιοῖ  (3rd person singular, present indicative of the verb βελτιόω ) = improves

Ancient Languages

Maria