Ancient Languages/Greek quotation

Question
old postcard
old postcard  
What is the source of and an English translation of:
Ότι παν υπόληψις

This was written on a postcard sent by an English cleric in 1902,
it is evidently a quotation and is easy to find on the Greek version
of Google but none of the online translators I have used are able
to translate the final word, which seems a bit odd as one of them was supposedly using Liddell and Scott.

Answer
Hello,

The sentence Ὅτι πᾶν ὑπόληψις, that we read in Marcus Aurelius Meditations, book II, section 15, written in Greek between 170 and 180 AD and entitled Τὰ εἰς ἑαυτόν (literally, "things/ thoughts  addressed  to himself” ), means :” All is opinion” (literal), i.e.: “All is nothing but opinion".

Please note that in Ὅτι πᾶν ὑπόληψις:

-the conjunction  Ὅτι  is used here pleonastically  to introduce a statement and then does not need a translation.

-the nominative neuter singular πᾶν (from the adjective/pronoun πᾶς , πᾶσα, πᾶν) means “all”.

-the feminine noun ὑπόληψις (nominative case, 3rd declension) means here   “opinion/supposition”. The meanings of ὑπόληψις  can be, in fact,  either “opinion”,”supposition” or “suspicion”, “taking up (the matter where another leaves off)” and  “reply”, according to the context, of course.
See Liddell-Scott at http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0057%3Aent(po%2Flhyis

Also, note that the sentence Ὅτι πᾶν ὑπόληψις is at the beginning of a section where the Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius (died in 180 AD) refers to a certain Cynic philosopher, Monimus of Syracuse (4th century BC), whose little is known, and then we do not know Monimus maxims, which Marcus Aurelius refers to, when  he writes “…δῆλα μὲν γὰρ τὰ πρὸς τὸν Κυνικὸν Μόνιμον λεγόμενα˙ δῆλον δὲ καὶ τὸ χρήσιμον τοῦ λεγομένου, ἐάν τις αὐτοῦ τὸ νόστιμον μέχρι τοῦ ἀληθοῦς δέχηται “ meaning :”….what was said by the Cynic Monimus is manifest: and manifest too is the usefulness of what was said, if someone accepts the substance of those words so far as they  contain a truth” (The Meditations,  book II, section 15).
See at: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:abo:tlg,0562,001:2:15&lang=

To conclude, the final word  ὑπόληψις in Ὅτι πᾶν ὑπόληψις means "opinion".

Hope this can be helpful to you.

Best regards,
Maria

Ancient Languages

Maria