Ancient Languages/English to latin

Question
Hi Maria,
I'm wondering if you could translate the following for me, I've recently lost my mum and we are writing a eulogy for her, and at the end we wanted to add this line of words,
To the stars she flies with her own wings.
I would be grateful if you could help me.

Answer
Hello,

“To the stars she flies with her own wings”- as the conclusion of an eulogy- translates correctly as “Ad astra suis alis volat propriis” or better  “Ad astra suis volat alis” where I’ve omitted the adjective “propriis” which makes the sentence not so fluid, and moreover I’ve changed word order that in Latin can be variable for Latin is an inflected language where syntactical relationships are indicated by the inflectional endings, not by the order of the words.

Read more below.

Please accept my heartfelt condolences for your loss.

All the best,

Maria

_____________________________________________________
Note that:

-To = AD (preposition which takes the accusative case ASTRA)

-the stars =ASTRA (accusative plural of the neuter noun ASTRUM, 2nd declension)

-she flies = VOLAT (3rd.person singular, present indicative of  the verb VOLARE meaning “to fly”).
Note that Latin does not use the subject pronoun because it is implied in the form of the verb so that for example VOLO means “I fly”, VOLAS means “you fly”, etc.
As for the feminine personal pronoun, it can be deduced from the context and then in your eulogy for your mum it is clear that the subject of VOLAT is “she”.

-with her own = PROPRIIS (ablative plural of the adjective PROPRIUS agreed with ALIS) + SUIS (ablative plural of the possessive SUUS agreed with ALIS)  or simply SUIS just meaning “with her own)

-wings = ALIS (ablative of Means in the plural of  the noun ALA, 1st.declension)

As you can see, Latin word order can be different from English for Latin is an inflected language where syntactical relationships are indicated by the inflectional endings, not by the order of the words, as I've already said.

Ancient Languages

Maria