Ancient Languages/Latin or Greek?

I am curious about the phrase "temet nosce". I have heard it means "know thyself" or "know yourself" in Latin. I have also heard it is not Latin but Greek. Further, I have also been told the the phrase in Latin should be written "nosce te ipsum". Just curious about your expert opinion.  

Thank you for your help and for me and for all the other answers you have provided for others. I enjoyed reading about fifty of them before I decided to ask a question of my own. Cheers

Both "Temet nosce" and  “Nosce te ipsum” mean “Know thyself" or "Know yourself" where the pronoun “yourself” stands for  “thyself”, the archaic  form of “yourself” that in Latin  translates  either as  “temet” or as  “te ipsum”, since “temet” and “te ipsum” have the same meaning, as you can read below.

As for the Greek origin  of "Temet nosce"  or  “Nosce te ipsum”, they both are the Latin translation of  “Γνῷθι σαυτόν“ (transliterated as “Gnõthi sautón") where the imperative “ Γνῷθι  / Gnõthi “  means “Know” (Latin “Nosce”) and the accusative pronoun“σαυτόν / sautón”  means “yourself/thyself” (Latin, “temet” or  “te ipsum”).

The ancient Greek maxim “Γνῷθι σαυτόν" was carved on the pediment of the temple of Apollo [the god of Poetry, Light and Music] at Delphi, Greece.

Hope this can be helpful to you and improve your interest in Latin.

Best regards and thank you very much for your kind words about my answers,

Note that:

-NOSCE (2nd.person singular, imperative of the verb NOSCO )= Know

-TE IPSUM or TEMET (direct object,accusative of the 2nd singular person pronoun TU) = thyself /yourself

Please note that in TE IPSUM the pronoun TE is ‘thy' (your)and IPSUM is ‘self’, while  in TEMET the pronoun TE is ‘thy' (your) and the enclitic -MET (a strengthened form) is ‘self’.

Ancient Languages

I am an expert in Latin & Ancient Greek Language and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning this matter.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Ph.D. in Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: