Anesthesiology/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
Suboxone and anesthetic3/17/2017JM Starkman, MD
  Q: I currently am on 1mg suboxone daily or every other day due a previous addiction to pain pills. If I ...
  A: Surgeons are generally not trained in pain management and don't get paid to 'do it'--so your ...
organ sensation3/13/2017Mike MacKinnon MSN FNP-C CRNA
  Q: I read in a book the statement "Slip past the skin's defenses with the aid of a local anesthetic, ...
  A: Well to answer briefly there are two types of sensations in this regard. Somatic pain and Visceral ...
scheduling outpatient procedure without anesthesia12/24/2016Ronald Levy, M.D.
  Q: I have to get frequent colonoscopies due to a genetic risk and I have had a lot of them. The first ...
  A: It may be a policy at that facility that anesthesia is on standby and you should ask that question ...
Risk of aspiration due to belching12/3/2016Ronald Levy, M.D.
  Q: I'm 68 years old, and in 3+ days I'm scheduled to undergo bladder-stone removal along with bipolar ...
  A: You should certainly inform the anesthesiologist of your problem. There are several anesthetic ...
Anesthesia machine10/20/2016Mike MacKinnon MSN FNP-C CRNA
  Q: I have been asked to do office-based anesthesia for a local plastic surgeon. I shadowed the CRNA and ...
  A: "there is no O2 sensor where it should be - just the cap" This is not standard nor is it ...
Anesthesiologist vs CRNA10/4/2016Ronald Levy, M.D.
  Q: I had outpatient eye surgery recently and my anesthesia was administered by a CRNA (who was being ...
  A: Depending on what state you are in, some CRNAs can work under the direction of a surgeon (with no ...
if take anti-anxiety med before anesthesia...9/25/2016Ronald Levy, M.D.
  Q: Dr. Levy, This is a two part question, hope you don't mind. I'm about to undergo a procedure to get ...
  A: First of all, lithotripsy does not REQUIRE general anesthesia although a lot of people prefer it. ...
Versed9/15/2016Rex Russell
  Q: I have have many surgeries and procedures in the last 9 years, (20+), where versed has been used and ...
  A: From time to time I have patients request not to have 'versed'. I simply comply without argument. ...
sacrum9/5/2016Rex Russell
  Q: Could you please tell me on the CT image i have attached is there a defect hole in the sacrum, it ...
  A: This is really not mr area of expertise. A spine surgeon would be far more likely to be able to ...
Universal Blood donor and Universal blood acceptor8/25/2016Rex Russell
  Q: If Universal Donor O Blood and Universal Acceptor AB Blood are mixed together, Can it create both a ...
  A: I don't know if I completely understand your question. However, the answer is no. universal donor ...
Universal Blood donor and Universal blood acceptor8/25/2016Ronald Levy, M.D.
  Q: If Universal Blood Donor O as well as Universal Blood Acceptor AB are mixed together, Can it create ...
  A: I'm not sure I understand your question. Blood typing has to do with antigens and antibodies to ...
LP and blood patch8/9/2016Mike MacKinnon MSN FNP-C CRNA
  Q: My sister, who is 30, recently had a lumbar puncture done and was found to have viral meningitis. ...
  A: Sorry that your sister is having this pain! To answer your questions: 1) Back pain at the site of ...
amnestic meds necessity7/3/2016JM Starkman, MD
  Q: Dr. Is it possible to go through a surgery such as knee replacment with out the use of ANY amnestic ...
  A: Yes. One might opt for a spinal or epidural anesthetic and request NO amnestic drugs. Amnestic ...
lumber block7/1/2016JM Starkman, MD
  Q: Is it normal to have a spinal block just before or during a L5 discectomy.? Could this spinal ...
  A: It's not routinely done, since your surgeon would immediately post-operatively want to do a ...
work life balance6/24/2016Mike MacKinnon MSN FNP-C CRNA
  Q: how's the work life balance of your job? like say can you do 3-12 hr shifts for full time? Also is ...
  A: I will answer your questions in succession! "like say can you do 3-12 hr shifts for full time?" ...
Anesthesia5/27/2016Ronald Levy, M.D.
  Q: When I arrived in operating room he said he was going to give me some happy juice to relax me. I ...
  A: Most medicines burn a little bit when injected (especially if injected quickly) but most likely the ...
DNA polymorphisms and waking up screaming after every surgery5/4/2016Rex Russell
  Q: I have just gotten my DNA report back and I am loaded with snp's in the following: CYP1A2 CYP1B1 ...
  A: If you are a pain patient with morphine you have developed a tolerance to opioids and will require ...
Where to study3/12/2016Mike MacKinnon MSN FNP-C CRNA
  Q: I am interested in nurse anesthesiology, can you please supply me with more info. Can i study it in ...
  A: To my knowledge there are no CRNA schools in South Africa but you can check it out on the ...
methemoglobinemia2/29/2016Charles T Porter Jr MD
  Q: Hi I was wondering does methemoglobinemia effect the limb were the injection of anaesthetic has ...
  A: Methemoglobinemia is a condition in which the hemoglobin binds to a component of the local ...
methemoglobinemia2/29/2016Mike MacKinnon MSN FNP-C CRNA
  Q: Hi I was wondering does methemoglobinemia effect the limb where the injection of anaesthetic has ...
  A: It impacts the whole body! Methemoglobinemia (congenital or acquired) occurs when red blood cells ...
Upper and lower Gi2/25/2016Charles T Porter Jr MD
  Q: Dr. Dr. Porter 1:Is it safe to have a Upper GI endoscopy and colonoscop at the same time or is it ...
  A: Upper GI endoscopy is often done with colonoscopy. There is no additional risk to the patient and it ...
Pain2/19/2016Charles T Porter Jr MD
  Q: This question has to do with pain management but not effectiveness of pain relief. I've started ...
  A: NSAIDs are typically the first mode of treatment, along with physical therapy, for persons suffering ...
Benzocaine LAST2/15/2016Mike MacKinnon MSN FNP-C CRNA
  Q: So I was wondering say for example a 8% benzocaine spray was applied to the skin how much would it ...
  A: The symptoms and signs of methemoglobinemia generally correlate to the amount of abnormal hemoglobin ...
Spray2/14/2016Rex Russell
  Q: Hi I asked a question a couple days ago regarding benzocaine and numbness I'm just wondering can a ...
  A: It is well known that local anesthetics are neurotoxic at a high enough concentration. However, ...
Spray topical LAST2/14/2016Mike MacKinnon MSN FNP-C CRNA
  Q: Hi I was wondering can a topical benzocaine spray cause Local anaesthetic toxicity ? And if so does ...
  A: Great question! Over the counter sprays are less likely to cause Methemoglobinemia but unlikely to ...
Lidocaine/benzocaine2/9/2016Dino Kattato MSNA CRNA
  Q: Around a month ago I used some lidocaine topical spray on my penis it didn't seem to work with ...
  A: Harry, Since I am not an expert of the genito-urinary system, I recommend you seek advise from a ...
Lidocaine/benzocaine2/9/2016Rex Russell
  A: The medications you referenced should not cause prolonged numbness, numbness after one month ...
anesthesia/low oxygen levels2/4/2016JM Starkman, MD
  Q: I had breast reduction surgery 6 days ago. Coming out of the general anesthetic was quite scary. I ...
  A: The individual response to anesthesia is quite varied and dependent on many factors, some of which ...
Benzocaine1/20/2016Charles T Porter Jr MD
  Q: Hi I was wondering is benzocaine can cause any circulation problems in the body for example could ...
  A: Benzocaine is topical local anesthetic that is typically applied to the skin and mucus membranes. ...
Benzocaine topical1/16/2016Mike MacKinnon MSN FNP-C CRNA
  Q: 5% benzocaine since then I've got a loss of sensation in the area it was used as if it has not ...
  A: I am sorry you are having this issues. Benzocaine is a topical ester anesthetic which when applied ...
Benzocaine worry1/13/2016Dino Kattato MSNA CRNA
  Q: Hi I was wondering if benzocaine topical can cause permanent numbness or damage any nerves I used a ...
  A: I'll do my best to address your concern. Traditionally, benzocaine topical has a duration of up to ...
Tongue numbness following LMA use1/1/2016JM Starkman, MD
  Q: I had eye surgery earlier this week (pterygium excision with graft) as an outpatient at the local ...
  A: I don't know any way to accelerate the healing of a nerve or muscle compression causing your ...
Surgical technician11/28/2015Dino Kattato MSNA CRNA
  Q: I am pursuing a career in the medical field. I'm very indecisive however. I would like to hear from ...
  A: I'll do my best to answer your inquiry. In short: I have worked with many surgical techs of all ...
Numb lip after gallbladder surgery9/25/2015Rex Russell
  Q: Please can you tell me whether my numb bottom lip will rectify itself?? I had keyhole gallbladder ...
  A: That is very unusual. I'm not sure how that may have happened. The only anesthesia related mechanism ...
Throat Swelling9/25/2015JM Starkman, MD
  Q: With in 24 hours of a colonoscopy my throat swelled and I found it very uncomfortable to swallow - ...
  A: Yes: Get a copy of both the gastroenterologist's procedure record and the anesthesiologist's ...
Anesthesia9/16/2015Rex Russell
  Q: Greetings, I am a 50 year old female. On May 29, 2015, I had a total knee replacement. Upon ...
  A: I'm sorry to read about your predicament. It is true that nerve damage from nerve blocks are ...
nerve blocks9/7/2015Rex Russell
  Q: What would happen if lidocaine was injected directly into a nerve? And is anesthesia occur only ...
  A: There is some recent evidence that suggests that injecting into the eve is common does not result in ...
father-in-law on ventilator8/11/2015Charles T Porter Jr MD
  Q: Porter, My father-in-law overseas has been hospitalized with a lung or some type of respiratory ...
  A: Please accept my apologies for the delayed response as I have been on vacation. It is common ...
father-in-law on ventilator8/11/2015Ronald Levy, M.D.
  Q: Levy, My father-in-law overseas has been hospitalized with a lung or some type of respiratory ...
  A: Not knowing the details, it is hard to answer but, in general, if he has a respiratory infection, it ...
Death from General Anesthesia8/10/2015Ronald Levy, M.D.
  Q: Sir as you said yesterday that a person can die from general anesthesia. Sir but in such case is it ...
  A: Again, as with all things, there is malpractice but this is the exception, not the rule. Dying from ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10   |  Next       All

Anesthesiology

Rex Russell

Top Expert on this page