Anesthesiology/CRNA goal

Terry wrote at 2013-02-09 04:53:08

I am now a 3rd year nursing student and will graduate in 2014. I'm 25 years old and my ultimate goal is to be a nurse anesthetist. I have a 3.0 GPA and although I know it is a very competitive field, but I am determined to get there. My question is what are the steps I should consider to get to that point as soon as possible. I know I have to work for a year in the ER after graduation (after the NCLEX) but I doubt that finding a position in the ER as a new nurse will be easy. Are there any other alternatives? And what could I possibly do to increase my chance to get accepted in a CRNA program?

Mike MacKinnon MSN FNP-C CRNA

I am a former Trauma Flight RN now a Family Nurse Practitioner and a Nurse Anesthetist (CRNAs). I can help answer questions on the CRNA profession and clinical anesthesia. I work full time as an independent practice CRNA and have a special interest in regional anesthesia, particularly peripheral nerve blocks. I also teach ultrasound regional anesthesia and lecture all over the country. If I do not know the answer, I will find it for you.

I am a Family Nurse Practitioner and a Nurse Anesthetist who works as an independent/autonomous practitioner. There are often questions about my profession and I would like to offer the service of an actual CRNA. If you did not know, there are about 40000 of us which equates to 50% of the anesthesia providers in the USA today. I also lecture and teach ultrasound regional anesthesia all over the country.

AANA (American Association of Nurse Anesthetists)
IARS (International Anesthesia Research Society) AANP (American Association of Nurse Practitioners)

Air Medical Transport Journal
OutPatient Surgery Magazine

Bachelors of Science in Nursing
Masters in Nursing
Family Nurse Practitioner
Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA)

Excellence in anesthesia education award