Anesthesiology/declining colonoscopy sedation

ed wrote at 2012-11-07 01:06:52
Thanks Mike: I had the rescheduled exam today and ran into the same crna insisting that she needed to be present for the colonoscopy; this time I made sure that the endo doc was present.  I asked her to listen to the following: I'm not consenting to sedation (one episode of anyphylaxis was enough), so there's no need for a sedation consent.  She then stated that even though I wasn't getting sedation, she still needed to be present to do the specialized monitoring and again asked me to sign the consent.  I was polite and let her speak; then I added that "her specialized monitoring is only necessary because of the drugs usually given, right?"  When she wouldn't answer the endo doc agreed with me.  The added: "if you don't want me present to keep you safe, that's your decision". The exam was completed, but I was still bothered by the crna's comment about safety-it makes me reluctant to return for other procedures.  Thanks for your comments and insights.

krista wrote at 2013-01-03 04:12:38
I just read this older post and I infuriates me!  Patients have a right to determine exactly what anesthesia care they want (or do not want)..the anesthesiologist can then agree to do or to refuse to do the case.  This is not a nursing (crna) decision, it's one that a physician needs to decide. Personally, I always insist on anesthesiologist-only care because I have had (as well as many friends have had) TERRIBLE experiences with crna anesthesia.  I have to say that Mike is doing everyone a service by explaining the crna role.   I consent to anesthesiologist-only care (I'm an advance-practice nurse); it's definately safer.  But when I read Mike's responses, I wish that he was my anesthesia provider if I had to accept a crna.  Actually, I would prefer a good crna working within the limits that we agreeed upon to a crna "managed" my an anesthesiologist.  These 2 "professions" hate each other and put the patient in the middle.

Anesthesiology

Mike MacKinnon MSN FNP-C CRNA