Anesthesiology/Hearing Loss following anesthesia

Question
hello
I had long orthognathic surgery with hypotenisive general anesthesia and woke up with significant irreversible hearing loss in both ears.Could 6 or 7 hours of this type of anesthesia cause this? thank you

Answer
Very difficult to answer that question. Depending on what kind of surgery, if they were working near the TM joint, they might have caused damage to the nerves to the ears. Without seeing the record, it would be hard to say that the hypotension caused it. It is unlikely that, if hypotension was the reason, the only problem you had was hearing loss. You should ask the surgeon if this complication is possibly related to the surgery. It doesn't seem like the anesthesia was the problem but I can't say that for sure. I would also recommend seeing an ENT or audiologist for a full evaluation. Are you sure it is irreversible?

Ronald Levy, MD
Professor of Anesthesiology
UTMB-Galveston

Anesthesiology

Ronald Levy, M.D.