Anesthesiology/numbness

Question
My husband had a blebectomy right yesterday at 1pm lower lung. He came through surgery just fine and did well all day except for hunger. He woke up this morning with uncontrollable hiccups, which he hasn't had hiccups at all in years. Now this evening about 8pm he noticed numbness in the upper right quadrant of his abdomen when he informed the nurse she said it was probably from anesthesia. Could this be a side effect?

My mind is leading a little more toward his diaphragm.

Please advise.

Thank You.

Answer
It is not from the anesthesia. Diaphragmatic irritation is a cuase of hiccups and likely the culprit in his case. As for the numbness, it really depends on where it is. It could be related to the surgical incision, the retractors they used, etc. Whatever the cause, it will likely go away within a few days to weeks.

Ronald Levy, MD
Professor of Anesthesiology
UTMB-Galveston

Anesthesiology

Ronald Levy, M.D.