Anesthesiology/permanent blurred vision following anesthesia

Terri wrote at 2013-01-21 16:08:55
I had a panendoscopy a couple of years ago.  I was reading a paperback without glasses while waiting for the op and have not been able to read anything without glasses since.  I believe the sight problem was caused by the anaesthetic, particularly as the nurse said she had trouble waking me up (too much anaesthetic?). My eyes also water when I lay down and get extremely red and sore by the morning.  I have to avoid lying on my right side (my preferred side) as that eye waters the worst.  My opthalmologist said if the eyes were not closed properly during anaesthetic it can dry the eyes out and that problem is now permanent.

Mike MacKinnon MSN FNP-C CRNA

I am a former Trauma Flight RN now a Family Nurse Practitioner and a Nurse Anesthetist (CRNAs). I can help answer questions on the CRNA profession and clinical anesthesia. I work full time as an independent practice CRNA and have a special interest in regional anesthesia, particularly peripheral nerve blocks. I also teach ultrasound regional anesthesia and lecture all over the country. If I do not know the answer, I will find it for you.

I am a Family Nurse Practitioner and a Nurse Anesthetist who works as an independent/autonomous practitioner. There are often questions about my profession and I would like to offer the service of an actual CRNA. If you did not know, there are about 40000 of us which equates to 50% of the anesthesia providers in the USA today. I also lecture and teach ultrasound regional anesthesia all over the country.

AANA (American Association of Nurse Anesthetists)
IARS (International Anesthesia Research Society) AANP (American Association of Nurse Practitioners)

Air Medical Transport Journal
OutPatient Surgery Magazine

Bachelors of Science in Nursing
Masters in Nursing
Family Nurse Practitioner
Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA)

Excellence in anesthesia education award