Anesthesiology/Cortisone shot and GA

Question
I am having Breast Augmentation on February 8, 2013. I have bursitis in my shoulder and was planning to go and get a cortisone injection a couple weeks before the procedure. Is this okay? Can cortisone cause any negative reaction with general anesthesia? Thank you.

Answer
Cortisone joint injections are a very common treatment used by orthopedic surgeons for pain management. Although cortisone is injected into the joint, some of the medication can be absorbed by the bloodstream, potentially causing systemic, or whole-body, effects. For example, there may be facial flushing for a few days or even a temporary elevation in one's blood sugar.
So these effects are very short-lived and appear to have no adverse interaction with the administration of general anesthesia.
Good luck with your surgery!

Anesthesiology

Arjav Shah, M.D.