Anesthesiology/general annethetic and pregnant

hi im due to go into hospital under a general annesthetic to have some teeth removed and i cant do under a local. theyve told me to wait at least until im 15 weeks pregnant. will it be safe for me to go ahead as they said they would rather not do it because of the risk unless im in too much pain , which i am i dont think i can wait 9 months. i need some proffesional advice please

Hi Marie

Thanks for your question and congratulations on the pregnancy!

First you are not alone, up to 2% of all pregnant women require surgery for all manner of conditions unrelated to their pregnancy, e.g. appendicits, broken bones, etc, etc, (Ne Mhuireachtaigh 2006). Surgeons perform these non-obstetrical operations upon pregnant women only for serious conditions threatening the life of the mother, or conditions causing serious disability if not performed at that moment. The normal policy is to wait until after delivery of the baby before performing any non-urgent surgery.

Studies of the babies of the more than ten thousand pregnant women who underwent anesthesia and surgery reveal that the chance of these women delivering a baby with a birth defect varies between 2-3.9% (Cohen-Kerem 2005, Duncan 1986), which is comparable to the normal chance of delivering a baby with a birth defect. The chance of miscarriage or fetal death as a result of anesthesia and surgery is about 5.8% when averaged over all pregnancy trimesters, but is about 10.5% when anesthesia and surgery occur during the first trimester which is why they are waiting till you are 15 weeks placing you in the second trimester.

Essentially anesthesia and surgery during pregnancy is safe for the mother, and the chance of delivering a baby with a birth defect is unchanged by anesthesia and surgery with the exception of the 1st trimester.

I hope this helps!

Mike MacKinnon MSN FNP-C CRNA

I am a former Trauma Flight RN now a Family Nurse Practitioner and a Nurse Anesthetist (CRNAs). I can help answer questions on the CRNA profession and clinical anesthesia. I work full time as an independent practice CRNA and have a special interest in regional anesthesia, particularly peripheral nerve blocks. I also teach ultrasound regional anesthesia and lecture all over the country. If I do not know the answer, I will find it for you.

I am a Family Nurse Practitioner and a Nurse Anesthetist who works as an independent/autonomous practitioner. There are often questions about my profession and I would like to offer the service of an actual CRNA. If you did not know, there are about 40000 of us which equates to 50% of the anesthesia providers in the USA today. I also lecture and teach ultrasound regional anesthesia all over the country.

AANA (American Association of Nurse Anesthetists)
IARS (International Anesthesia Research Society) AANP (American Association of Nurse Practitioners)

Air Medical Transport Journal
OutPatient Surgery Magazine

Bachelors of Science in Nursing
Masters in Nursing
Family Nurse Practitioner
Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA)

Excellence in anesthesia education award