Anesthesiology/siezure under anesthetic

Hi there,
I recently went under for parotidectomy and if I understand correctly, confused everybody in the OR by having a seizure, including the highly experienced Anesthesiologist. I didn't have the lump removed, I guess we were not that far into the surgery when it happened, but the doctor said he thought I was having a seizure and looked at my feet and confirmed it, but I should not have had one at that stage in the anesthesia (not sure what that even means). I don't have epilepsy, and have been tested for it in the past because of memory loss. My heart rate was a little low (52) compared to what it usually is (upper 60s). I had a touch of a cold.
I haven't been able to speak to my doctor yet while fully alert to ask any questions, but they did a cat scan which came back fully normal, and I'm scheduled for an EEG to try and figure out why. My questions are: 1. What could have caused this? and 2. What questions should I be asking? What would you want to know if this happened to you?
Thank you for your time and your help.

I don't know what could have caused this (or if it was a real seizure) but the drugs we use for anesthesia actually have anti-seizure properties. The only question I can think of (although if you say you had an experienced anesthesiologist it makes no sense) is whether you received succinylcholine as a muscle relaxant (which will cause your whole body to twitch for a 30 seconds. I would also make sure all my labs were normal (especially Calcium and Potassium).

Ronald Levy, MD
Professor of Anesthesiology

Ronald Levy, M.D.

Associate Professor of Anesthesiology, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. I am a board certified anesthesiologist who can answer all questions related to any type of Anesthesia with the exception of Pain Management.