my husband needs to have a colostomy, he pulmonary fibrosis could this procedure be done with an epidural. He is 71 years of age

That depends. If it just a loop colostomy, then it could be done under regional or evel local. If it is an end colostomy, then more likely general would be a better option. Having pulmonary fibrosis is not a contraindication for general anesthesia. Although it does put him at increased risk, it is still preferable to a regional because to get a high enough level so that he would be comfortable, it might affect his diaphragm (making it harder to breathe). You should discuss this with your anesthesia provider and he/she will explain the issues and the options.

Ronald Levy, MD
Professor of Anesthesiology

Ronald Levy, M.D.

Associate Professor of Anesthesiology, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. I am a board certified anesthesiologist who can answer all questions related to any type of Anesthesia with the exception of Pain Management.