Hi I had a pacemaker put in last Friday. I am a 21 year old male. It was a bladder pacemaker. They put me out for the surgery. So far this pacemaker works great. I have not been able to pee in 6 years and since last Friday I have been able to pee normal again. But here is my question for you. I have not been able to sleep ever since last Friday. Every night I am wide awake. I use to be able to fall asleep at 1:30am. Now I don't fall asleep until 5:00am or later. I have to take meletonin to go to sleep. I started with 5mg that worked for one night. I am now up to 10mg of meletonin just to fall asleep and it still takes me awhile to fall asleep. I have not told my doctor I am taking this yet. I am just wondering is it normal for my sleeping pattern to change and should I contact my doctor to talk to him about it. I also have cluster headaches which are bad right now because of the lack of sleep I am getting. Thanks.

Your sleeping pattern should not change from anesthesia and these are probably not related. You should definitely talk to your doctor before self-prescribing. Meletonin can help you sleep but there are better medications for that and you should discuss these issues with your primary physician.

Ronald Levy, MD
Professor of Anesthesiology

Ronald Levy, M.D.

Associate Professor of Anesthesiology, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. I am a board certified anesthesiologist who can answer all questions related to any type of Anesthesia with the exception of Pain Management.