Anesthesiology/laparoscopic gallbladder surgery

Question
Two questions please. I may need laparoscopic gallbladder surgery and have never been 'put under.' When doing that procedure, do they  put a mask over your nose and mouth to administer the anesthetic? If so, I'm claustrophobic and am afraid I may panic when they do that. If they gave me some kind of mild sedative beforehand, would it interfere with things or be dangerous in combination?  Thanks

Answer
The answer to your first question is yes, the answer to your second question is no. Let me expand. Before they bring you back to the OR, they will give you a sedative to relax you. After they put on the monitors, they will give you some oxygen to breathe through a face mask. Usually, the sedative they give you relaxes you enough so the claustrophobia is not an issue. If you are still nervous, they can give you more sedatives. These sedative do not interfere with the anesthetic, they actually are an important component of the anesthetic. The anesthesiologist will explain all of this to you before surgery and will be happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have.

You have nothing to worry about.

Ronald Levy, MD
Professor of Anesthesiology
UTMB-Galveston

Anesthesiology

Ronald Levy, M.D.