Anesthesiology/The anesthesiast explained general anesthesia to me it sounded so scary am more scared now! Plz help

Question
Hello, am due to have minor surgery as an outpatient and the other day I met up wi the aneasthesiast and I asked him what's it like to be put to sleep he said that it may hurt going up ur arm slightly then when it gets to your head you will go very dizzy and hear like a whooshing noise like sumone is spinning something by your ear and then you will be out, well this does not sound like a nice way to go under! Does all general anesthesia do this befor you go to sleep? I don't even drink as I don't like the light headnes of alcohol so the going dizzy bit and hearing a Wooding noise sounds so horrible! I though you would just gently go asleep?

Thank You!

Answer
In most  cases patients fall asleep without any sensation like you described in your email simply fall sleep and then wake up. it's usually pleasant rarely negative. on occasion some patients  wake up with some anxiety because they forget where they are.

Anesthesiology

Rex Russell