Hi Dr. Charles!
In your opinion is an anaesthetist as career suited to students with a very strong introverted personality? Would you say the job requires a large amount of patient contact? Thanks in advance.

Hello, Jackson. Thank you for the question.

In over 30 years of practice I have seen virtually every personality type in my speciality ... and almost all were very good anesthesiologists. In my opinion, someone who is very introverted might feel uncomfortable in a situation where significant patient interaction is required, such as general practice, internal medicine, or pediatrics. Anesthesiology might appeal to an introverted person as most of the time you are working by yourself taking care of a single patient at one time. Unfortunately, for us who work mainly in the OR, long term patient contact is just not there. But the time we do spend with our patients is very important. Our patients usually recognize this and are very grateful that we are there to help them.

If you are interested in medicine as a career, and Anesthesiology specifically, I would encourage you to contact an anaesthetist at your local hospital and talk with them about their experience. "Shadowing" them in the OR is even better. This will give you an insight as to what we do every day.

Good luck and I hope you decide to join us.

Charles T Porter Jr MD

Questions in all fields of Anesthesiology except Pain Management.

I have been in the practice of Anesthesiology since 1981.

American Society of Anesthesiologists, International Anesthesia Research Society, Texas Society of Anesthesiologists, Texas Medical Association

Graduate of the Citadel and the Medical University of South Carolina. Completed Anesthesiology residency at the Naval Medical Center San Diego, California. Board certified in Anesthesiology and a Fellow of the American College of Anesthesiologists.

Alpha Omega Alpha National Medical Honor Society 1978, Outstanding Graduate Anesthesiology Resident Naval Medical Center San Diego California