Hi Dr Charles>
After having a sedative (Valium) for a gastroscopy, what does it feel like?
Will I have amnesia for a couple of days? Feel drowsy or foggy?
When will I be able to resume normal activities? Go back to school
? Thanks for taking the time to answer this question; I look forward to your input.

Sarah, thank you very much for your important question.

Drugs such as Valium or Versed are commonly given before endoscopic procedures because they are very good medications for alleviating anxiety and for reducing recall for the procedure. They are given before the procedure and then are supplemented with other medications in the procedure room. All of these medications are chosen for their effectiveness and for their short duration of action. That means that they wear off very quickly. Typically, you are kept at the facility after the procedure to allow you to recover from the effects of the medications and are then sent home in the company of a responsible adult. You may feel "groggy" for a few hours after the procedure but this will resolve quickly. Our policy is to instruct our patients to go home, rest, and drink plenty of fluids. You should not drive or sign important legal documents for 24 hours but otherwise you can do anything you feel up to doing. Going back to school the next day is OK.

I hope this answers some of your concerns. Please contact us again if you have any further questions.

Charles T Porter Jr MD

Questions in all fields of Anesthesiology except Pain Management.

I have been in the practice of Anesthesiology since 1981.

American Society of Anesthesiologists, International Anesthesia Research Society, Texas Society of Anesthesiologists, Texas Medical Association

Graduate of the Citadel and the Medical University of South Carolina. Completed Anesthesiology residency at the Naval Medical Center San Diego, California. Board certified in Anesthesiology and a Fellow of the American College of Anesthesiologists.

Alpha Omega Alpha National Medical Honor Society 1978, Outstanding Graduate Anesthesiology Resident Naval Medical Center San Diego California