Anesthesiology/MSN vs. DNP to practice as CRNA

Question
Hi:
As I am preparing myself for CRNA school I encounter the inevitable, MSN vs DNP. I have been researching (without much success) when will it be required for CRNA to graduate with DNP or DNAPs degrees. Some sites quote 2015 while others say 2025. Could you please give me more insight in this matter, and maybe direct me to which official site could I refer to for news/updates on this subject.
Thank You!!

Answer
Hi Yane

Thanks for the question!

I know this is confusing and you are not alone. Here are the actual changes coming.

All APN programs housed in schools of nursing will have to convert to a clinical doctorate by 2015.

The AANA (American Assoc. of Nurse Anesthetists) has made it a policy to have all CRNA programs converted to clinical doctorate by 2025.

About 50% of CRNA programs are housed in schools of nursing where they get an MSN and 50% not where they get various other masters degrees along with the CRNA certification.

So the answer is that any CRNA program in a school of nursing will likely have to convert to clinical doctorate by 2015 but they are not required by the AANA until 2025. Any CRNA program not in a school of nursing will have to convert by 2025 though many are doing so already.

Anyone who has a masters when they graduate will not be required to get a doctorate.

Hope this helps!

Anesthesiology

Mike MacKinnon MSN FNP-C CRNA