Anesthesiology/Post op joint and muscle pain starting after 7 days

I am 45 and had an abd hysterectomy under general anesthesia. No problems. Surgical pain minimal. By 7 days post op I started having pain in my right jaw and shoulder. Over the next few days the pain seemed to move bilaterally through all joints from shoulders all the way distal through my body. Joints swollen and generalized muscle pain.  My muscles feel like they quiver at times followed by the soreness. The doctor said he had not heard of this and gave e an extra week off. I am 5 weeks out now and still have good days and bad days.  Aleve and ibu help but it never really goes away completely. If i sit still for over 30 minutes im so still i have start slow to get going. I sleep about 2 hours at a time and hurt most nights. I'm hydrating and not taking meds more then 2 times a day.

I have no health problems and had gastric bypass 8 years ago. Low B12 and vitamin D last year.  All good now. Not anemic and no current problems other than persistent joint and muscle pain.

Scoline pain sound right but that is immediate post op. have you heard of this pain and symptoms starting so many days out?

I'm a nurse of 25 years having worked surgical care and ob-gyn. No one has heard of this. Thanks for your thoughts.

I have not heard the term "Scoline pain".  Your syndrome, however, does not seem to be related to anesthesia which sounds like it was conducted safely and without sequelae.  Perhaps a rheumatologist would have treatment suggestions with respect to your symptoms.  Good luck!

JM Starkman, MD

Over twenty-five years of adult and pediatric, inpatient and outpatient clinical anesthesia practice--some private, some group.

American Association of Physicians and Surgeons. My county medical society.

[not a researcher]

American medical school graduate. Board Certified. Fellowship trained Cardiovascular and Pediatric anesthesia subspecialist.

Over 20,000 anesthetics, the majority of which have been personally managed, with less than 5% consisting of supervising nurse anesthetists or in-training resident physicians.