Anesthesiology/General Anestetics

Question
I remember when they put me to sleep to have my appendix taken out. I hadn't slept that well in maybe 10 years. I was wondering if general anestetics are often used for sleep? I'm assuming that's what they gave me. Are there sleep aids that aren't habit forming that can work in this way?

Answer
No, they (anesthetics)  are not used for sleep because they aren't sleep--they're anesthetics with risks and imperfections that do not make them useful for casual matters (e.g. see Michael Jackson).   Reassess your whole-health picture.  Something is causing your insomnia; it is not for lack of access to an anesthetic. You do not mention where you're from, but if you are American (writing strictly from averages) it's likely that you are sorely lacking in exercise or overdosed on caffeine and/or prescription medication.  

Anesthesiology

JM Starkman, MD

Over twenty-five years of adult and pediatric, inpatient and outpatient clinical anesthesia practice--some private, some group.

American Association of Physicians and Surgeons. My county medical society.

[not a researcher]

American medical school graduate. Board Certified. Fellowship trained Cardiovascular and Pediatric anesthesia subspecialist.

Over 20,000 anesthetics, the majority of which have been personally managed, with less than 5% consisting of supervising nurse anesthetists or in-training resident physicians.