Anesthesiology/Tummy tuck

I am a 38-year-old female,I'm having a tummy tuck and lipo soon, and I'm anxious about being put under for 5 hours.  I am overweight (my BMI is 30) but otherwise healthy, blood pressure is low, I'm on Concerta and Effexor.  I had an epidural giving birth, also I had a breast reduction surgery that took 2 hours.  So my question is, should I not worry since I had no problems with anesthesia before, or the length of the surgery is cause for concern?  Thanks.

While 5 hours seems like a long time, it really isn't. We routinely do cases of 8 to 20 hours with little increase in risk for the average patient. You will likely feel a little more groggy post surgery but other than that, there is nothing to worry about.

Ronald Levy, MD
Professor of Anesthesiology

Ronald Levy, M.D.

Associate Professor of Anesthesiology, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. I am a board certified anesthesiologist who can answer all questions related to any type of Anesthesia with the exception of Pain Management.