Anesthesiology/ANESTHESIOLOGY FOR ELDERLY

Question
Ron

Hi, I need your help, my mom will be needing surgery to repair a Hernia. There are two ways to preform this operation, one is to
use open surgery, the second is utilizing Robotic surgery.
Mom mom is elderly and is in her 80's, I understand that Anesthesia can cause damage and complication to the brain, especially in the elderly.  How should I approach this, should I forget about the Robotic surgery all together since a different type of Anesthesia will be used.  Thank you

Ken

Answer
It depends where the hernia is. If it's an incisional hernia, then it will likely require general anesthesia. Assuming the surgeon is skilled in both methods, then it would not matter which one you chose (from the anesthesia point of view) but the robotic has a shorter recovery and is less painful. If it is an inguinal hernia, then you could do it open under regional anesthesia and not worry about the general.

Ronald Levy, MD
Professor of Anesthesiology
UTMB-Galveston

Anesthesiology

Ronald Levy, M.D.