I am having an endoscopy done under propofol soon.

I am wondering how safe this is and if there are any risks. (pain, apnea, priapism, etc)

Also -- How will I feel after the procedure? Will I be able to attend meetings or social events later in the day?

Thank you!

It is extremely safe and there are few risks if you are otherwise healthy. After the procedure you should feel pretty normal although you might be a little tired. You will be able to attend social events but I would not recommend any business meetings or other decision making for 12-24 hours after the procedure as the anesthetics they use have an amnestic and anxiolytic effect and you may not remember what you and you may be more susceptible to bad advice.

Ronald Levy, MD
Professor of Anesthesiology

Ronald Levy, M.D.

Associate Professor of Anesthesiology, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. I am a board certified anesthesiologist who can answer all questions related to any type of Anesthesia with the exception of Pain Management.