Hi there -

I had a colonoscopy this morning at 8 AM and received general anesthesia for it; I was wondering if it would be wise to start drinking alcohol at 10 PM given the procedure I had and the anesthesia. Some websites say 12 hours, other say 24, and I'm a bit confused. What would be the potential risks involved in this? Thanks!

Generally speaking, for a colonoscopy (which is a short procedure), 12 hours should be good enough, if you are not feeling any of the after effects of the medications. That being said, ideally waiting 24 hours would be better because the Versed that you get for preop sedation has an amnestic effect which can last for up to 24 hours.

Ronald Levy, MD
Professor of Anesthesiology

Ronald Levy, M.D.

Associate Professor of Anesthesiology, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. I am a board certified anesthesiologist who can answer all questions related to any type of Anesthesia with the exception of Pain Management.