Anesthesiology/Alcohol

Question
Hi there -

I had a colonoscopy this morning at 8 AM and received general anesthesia for it; I was wondering if it would be wise to start drinking alcohol at 10 PM given the procedure I had and the anesthesia. Some websites say 12 hours, other say 24, and I'm a bit confused. What would be the potential risks involved in this? Thanks!

Chris

Answer
Generally speaking, for a colonoscopy (which is a short procedure), 12 hours should be good enough, if you are not feeling any of the after effects of the medications. That being said, ideally waiting 24 hours would be better because the Versed that you get for preop sedation has an amnestic effect which can last for up to 24 hours.

Ronald Levy, MD
Professor of Anesthesiology
UTMB-Galveston

Anesthesiology

Ronald Levy, M.D.