Anesthesiology/Anesthetic options for colonoscopy

Question
Hello Dr. Levy,

I had a colonoscopy a couple months ago, and I was given the following medications during the procedure: Fentanyl and Versed. I was very anxious before the procedure but during the procedure, I was in so much pain that I was yelling and at one point thrashing. I told one of the nurses after that I was in pain during the procedure, and she suggested next time to try a place that uses Propofol instead. Do you think that this option would likely be more effective at controlling pain/anxiety? I would like to have alternatives to discuss with my doctor before the next time I am due to have another screening.

Thank you for your time

Answer
What that means to me is that the anesthesia was probably done by the endoscopy nurse and they are not as comfortable giving more medicine. An anesthesiologist would make sure that you were not uncomfortable. There are many ways to do this, including Propofol, but it can just as easily be done using the proper doses of Versed and Fentanyl. So my recommendation to you would be to ask that an anesthesiologist give you the sedation

Ronald Levy, MD
Professor of Anesthesiology
UTMB-Galveston

Anesthesiology

Ronald Levy, M.D.