Anesthesiology/Bloody ears after anesthesia

My husband had general anesthesia yesterday with a breathing tube inserted (I think the time frame was around 40 minutes) He woke up today and after he showered he saw blood on the q-tips. From both ears.  It has since stopped bleeding. I can not talk to the anesthesiologist and the doctor on call never heard of it. Have you ever heard of this?  Is anything inserted into the ears during anesthesia? I do not know why his ears would be bleeding.

Thank you for your help.

There is nothing (related to the anesthesia) that I can think of (or even imagine) that would cause that. That being said, I can't think of any other reason why he would have blood from the ears other than trauma caused by using the Q-tips in the first place. As long as the bleeding has stopped, I wouldn't worry about it.

Ronald Levy, MD
Professor of Anesthesiology

Ronald Levy, M.D.

Associate Professor of Anesthesiology, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. I am a board certified anesthesiologist who can answer all questions related to any type of Anesthesia with the exception of Pain Management.