Anesthesiology/Nerve Block for ACL Reconstruction

Question
I'm scheduled for ACL reconstruction next week (two hamstring graft), and I've opted NOT to have a nerve block (I freak out when I wake up during the night with just my hand/arm/leg being asleep!! It throws me into an immediate panic attack...I just have to be able to 'feel'). After reading online all about ACL construction, I understand that upon waking after surgery, the pain is excruciating. Everyone recommends a nerve block. MY QUESTION: is there another way to control the pain without a nerve block? I'm allergic to codeine but can tolerate Demerol. If a nerve block is absolutely necessary, than I'll be canceling my surgery. / Thank you so much for your input and time devoted to this site!!

Answer
Hi there and thanks for the question!

A nerve block is not absolutely necessary but certainly does alot for the pain. However, if you really do not want one the only other option is IV and oral narcotics.

So the upside is yes, there is another way to help the pain but the downside is that it comes with side effects that nerve bocks do not. Really up to you ;)

Anesthesiology

Mike MacKinnon MSN FNP-C CRNA