Anesthesiology/College Education

Question
Dr. Kattato,
Hello, I'm a rising senior in high school and I'm pretty lost as to what is to come in college.

So, I was wondering what should my major/minor be if I want to become a CRNA?
Also, what would me college career look like (# of years, what degrees, residency, etc.)?

Sorry is what I asked doesn't make sense I'm really confused/ lost.
THANK YOU!

Answer
First, thank you for inquiring.  Let me just say that I'm not a physician, but a registered nurse (RN) that has gone on for additional training and education, and received my Master's of Science in the field of Nurse Anesthesiology (CRNA, MS).  I'm able to provide anesthesia to all age-groups, and for all kinds of surgeries.

With that said, let me attempt to answer your question:

If I'm being blunt, whether you have any desire to contribute to/work toward/change anything within the science field, you need science (let's not forget the math ;)) courses.  Whether you choose to be a CRNA or an anesthesiologist, it's imperative you have a solid understanding of the science, physiology, anatomy and pharmacology, to say the least, to be successful and safe in the practice of administering anesthesia to people (or animals if that's your intention).

There are many different avenues one can choose in pursuing a career in nursing and medicine.  It really should start with what it is you're truly looking for in life..(as basic as that may sound).  Find your passion, and go from there.  

Please feel free to ask me any further questions relating to any matters you deem appropriate here.  

Thanks again for the question, and I hope I've helped some.

Dino

Anesthesiology

Dino Kattato MSNA CRNA