Anesthesiology/Post Anaesthetic Amnesia

Dear Dr. Levy

I have had seven previous surgeries so even though I am a nurse I never bother the anaesthetist about what drugs he uses because I have had totally positive experiences in the past.

This time I am troubled by a gap in my memory of past occasions occurring within the last month before the operation. It is now more than two months since surgery and though some memory recall is improving I am still finding gaps in my memory.

Is this normal and will my memory come back completely?

Thanking you
Lorna Das

It's hard to say without seeing your anesthetic record or knowing more about your age and health status. Some of the drugs we give do cause amnesia but it is usually just for the perioperative period. They should not extend back before that. I would recommend seeing your primary physician or a neurologist to make sure there is nothing organic going on. I don't think this is related to the anesthesia.

Ronald Levy, MD
Professor of Anesthesiology

Ronald Levy, M.D.

Associate Professor of Anesthesiology, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. I am a board certified anesthesiologist who can answer all questions related to any type of Anesthesia with the exception of Pain Management.