QUESTION: I have rhinoplasty in 5 days, i smoked hookah and weed yesterday. Am i at a risk or am i fine? why is smoking bad?

ANSWER: That decision is up to your anesthesiologist and you should let them know that you did that. In general, it is not a good idea to take drugs or alcohol immediately prior to surgery. While they will likely proceed with the surgery it is an unnecessary risk for you to take.

Ronald Levy, MD
Professor of Anesthesiology

QUESTION: Is it bad to smoke hookah before rhinoplasty? it only has 0.05% nicotine content

All smoking is not good because it makes your bronchi more reactive and can lead to increased secretions, bronchospasm, laryngospasm. Ideally you stop for at least a week prior to surgery. The risks are small but certainly higher than if you didn't smoke.

Ronald Levy, MD
Professor of Anesthesiology

Ronald Levy, M.D.

Associate Professor of Anesthesiology, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. I am a board certified anesthesiologist who can answer all questions related to any type of Anesthesia with the exception of Pain Management.