Anesthesiology/Smoking

Question
QUESTION: I have rhinoplasty in 5 days, i smoked hookah and weed yesterday. Am i at a risk or am i fine? why is smoking bad?

ANSWER: That decision is up to your anesthesiologist and you should let them know that you did that. In general, it is not a good idea to take drugs or alcohol immediately prior to surgery. While they will likely proceed with the surgery it is an unnecessary risk for you to take.

Ronald Levy, MD
Professor of Anesthesiology
UTMB-Galveston

QUESTION: Is it bad to smoke hookah before rhinoplasty? it only has 0.05% nicotine content

Answer
All smoking is not good because it makes your bronchi more reactive and can lead to increased secretions, bronchospasm, laryngospasm. Ideally you stop for at least a week prior to surgery. The risks are small but certainly higher than if you didn't smoke.

Ronald Levy, MD
Professor of Anesthesiology
UTMB-Galveston

Anesthesiology

Ronald Levy, M.D.