Anesthesiology/Career advise

Dear dr. Levy,

I am going to graduate for high school soon and I was wondering what I should study in my years of higher education. I've always wanted to become a doctor so I took plenty of bio medical classes in high school. In fact I've studied bio medical sciences since I was 13! Now it's time for me to pick a path to study further. I was thinking of perusing a career in anesthesiology, hematology, rheumatology or dermatology. I have narrowed my thoughts down to these because statistics have shown that doctors in these fields enjoy their lifestyle, working hours, job security and pay. So what field is the best under the circumstances  given.

You still have a long way to go before you need to decide on a career. As for what to study in college, you can study whatever interests you (as long as you take the prerequisite courses for medical school). So if you want to be a History major, that's fine also. As for the best field to go into, don't decide based on lifestyle or salary but rather what you enjoy doing. You will be doing it for the rest of your life so you need to like what you do. There are many other fields that have great lifestyles/hours/salary that you did not mention but you will only figure out once you get to medical school.

Ronald Levy, MD
Professor of Anesthesiology

Ronald Levy, M.D.

Associate Professor of Anesthesiology, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. I am a board certified anesthesiologist who can answer all questions related to any type of Anesthesia with the exception of Pain Management.