Anesthesiology/Anaesthesia ignorance

Question
Hello Doc, My name is Ryan, I'm 205lbs, very healthy, Not on steroids and im having idiopathic gynecomastia surgery under general anaesthesia in two months, could you tell me what is the likely anaesthesia plan my anaesthesiologist will take, what drugs, Breathing tube etc?
Are muscle relaxers used in this type of surgery?
The main worry i have is i am absolutely petrified of general anaesthesia because of what happened to Michael Jackson.
Could i die from anaesthesia alone?  Please help.

Because you are a professor i will highly regard your answer.
Thanks in advance, Ryan

Answer
Likely they will do this under general anesthesia and they will either use an endotracheal tube or an Laryngeal Mask Airway (LMA) which is a device that sits in the back of your throat to help you breathe. They will likely use Propofol, Fentanyl and Versed. Propofol is the drug that MJ overdosed on but you do not need to worry because unlike MJ, your Propofol is being administered by a board certified anesthesiologist who has all the appropriate monitors and emergency equipment and not by a cardiologist, in a bedroom with no monitoring devices at all! While there is always a chance of a major complication, Propofol is extremely safe and you are more likely to get hit by lightning twice on the same day than to have a major complication from anesthesia.

Ronald Levy, MD
Professor of Anesthesiology
UTMB-Galveston

Anesthesiology

Ronald Levy, M.D.