Anesthesiology/Anesthesiology Alleric reactions

I had surgery 3-4 years ago. I had general anesthesia. During my surgery I lost allot of my hair.  Every where that had something rubbing against it is the places I lost my hair.  What is the reason for severe hair loss like this?  I need to have shoulder surgery and I have said that I'm allergic to anesthesia and my shoulder surgeons wants to know if there is alternative to general or regional anesthesia.

There is no documented evidence that anesthesia causes hair loss and you are not allergic to anesthesia. I cannot say why you lost hair but it is not allergy to anesthesia. As for the shoulder surgery, generally speaking, general anesthesia is the only alternative. While regional anesthesia can help with post op pain relief, it is not sufficient for the procedure.

Ronald Levy, MD
Professor of Anesthesiology

Ronald Levy, M.D.

Associate Professor of Anesthesiology, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. I am a board certified anesthesiologist who can answer all questions related to any type of Anesthesia with the exception of Pain Management.