Anesthesiology/diagnostic nerve root block

Question
I am booked for a diagnostic nerve block [L2] tomorrow.
Websites I'm reading say no food or fluids prior yet the clinic has not directed me to do this?
Also, I'll be driving myself. The trip is three hours each way and I'm quite aprehensive about how I'll be feeling after.
Will there be temporary numbness in the leg at such a high level?
Does the pain get much worse after the "numbing" injection wears off?
Thank you for your answer.

Answer
Hi there

If the clinic has not told you to not eat or drink anything then it may not be an issue as they are likely not giving you any sedation. You should definitely talk to them about if you can drive yourself, tho in this case it may be ok.

It is not likely that there will be worse pain, but that is the idea of the diagnostic part of the procedure to see what works and what does not!

Best thing to do is clarify with your clinic about what you should expect. Let them know your concerns!

Anesthesiology

Mike MacKinnon MSN FNP-C CRNA