Anesthesiology/diagnostic nerve root block

I am booked for a diagnostic nerve block [L2] tomorrow.
Websites I'm reading say no food or fluids prior yet the clinic has not directed me to do this?
Also, I'll be driving myself. The trip is three hours each way and I'm quite aprehensive about how I'll be feeling after.
Will there be temporary numbness in the leg at such a high level?
Does the pain get much worse after the "numbing" injection wears off?
Thank you for your answer.

Hi there

If the clinic has not told you to not eat or drink anything then it may not be an issue as they are likely not giving you any sedation. You should definitely talk to them about if you can drive yourself, tho in this case it may be ok.

It is not likely that there will be worse pain, but that is the idea of the diagnostic part of the procedure to see what works and what does not!

Best thing to do is clarify with your clinic about what you should expect. Let them know your concerns!

Mike MacKinnon MSN FNP-C CRNA

I am a former Trauma Flight RN now a Family Nurse Practitioner and a Nurse Anesthetist (CRNAs). I can help answer questions on the CRNA profession and clinical anesthesia. I work full time as an independent practice CRNA and have a special interest in regional anesthesia, particularly peripheral nerve blocks. I also teach ultrasound regional anesthesia and lecture all over the country. If I do not know the answer, I will find it for you.

I am a Family Nurse Practitioner and a Nurse Anesthetist who works as an independent/autonomous practitioner. There are often questions about my profession and I would like to offer the service of an actual CRNA. If you did not know, there are about 40000 of us which equates to 50% of the anesthesia providers in the USA today. I also lecture and teach ultrasound regional anesthesia all over the country.

AANA (American Association of Nurse Anesthetists)
IARS (International Anesthesia Research Society) AANP (American Association of Nurse Practitioners)

Air Medical Transport Journal
OutPatient Surgery Magazine

Bachelors of Science in Nursing
Masters in Nursing
Family Nurse Practitioner
Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA)

Excellence in anesthesia education award