Anesthesiology/Muscle and joint pain

Question
When I was9 years old I had a simple surgery to place drainage tubes in my ears.  It was an out patient procedure.  I was put under general anesthesia for less than an hour.  I had a really hard time waking up and I could not move my legs without a lot of pain.  Our insurance would not pay for inpatient stay so my mother told me that I was fine.   I made it home and barely was able to walk into the hopes and lay in bed.   For about one year I suffered from stiffness and pain.  I did miss a few months of school.  My pediatrician could not figure out what was wrong with me.  One doctor even suggested I see a psychologist.    I am 47 today.  So this occurred in 1975.   What happened to me?  The only thing out of the ordinary that happened on surgery day was that the  anestigiologist gave me a shot twice because I move my arm the first time.

Answer
I have no idea what happened to you although I am pretty sure it is not related to the anesthesia. The only thing I can think of was that you received succinylcholine as a muscle relaxant and this is known to cause total body muscle aches, but this would only last for a day or two. That being said, when we do ear tubes in the present, we don't give muscle relaxants, the procedure lasts 15 minutes and there are very few complications. Many things have changed in anesthesia since 1975 so I would not worry about it should you need surgery in the future.

Ronald Levy, MD
Professor of Anesthesiology
UTMB-Galveston

Anesthesiology

Ronald Levy, M.D.